It’s that time of the year where you have likely begun your annual fall and winter maintenance routine on your Kentucky horse farm.
Here are some valuable tips to help ensure your winter is successful.
Jump to section:
- Stock up on hay, feed & bedding
- Test emergency supplies on hand
- Prepare your tools & equipment
- Ensure fencing is secure
- Check outdoor & barn lighting
- Clean & store your tack
- Wash blankets
- Plan a rodent control stategy
Stock up on hay, feed and bedding
You will need about 600 pounds of hay per month for each 1000-pound horse. During winter months, your horses may not have access to fresh food from the pasture, so it’s important to have enough hay and any supplements on hand to last until they are…